Tuesday, May 24, 2011

What's with the storms?!

"A wise man in the storm prays to God, not for safety from danger, but deliverance from fear." --Ralph Waldo Emerson


Has anyone else noticed all of the storms lately? It seems like every day here, it's raining or storming. In the south, hundreds were killed by tornadoes caused by storms. Just yesterday, over a hundred people were killed in yet another storm. And I'm not just talking meteorological storms either. It seems like everywhere you turn, someone is dealing with a personal storm. I know I've talked to several people recently that it just seems like this dark cloud is following them around. Heck, I'll be honest, I'm one of those people. So tell me, what's with all of the storms?

We don't have any choice but to wait them out. We can run, but the storms are going to come anyway. You can move from a place that has lots and lots of storms, but no matter where you are, you're going to get hit. There's going to be lightning that sends chills to your toes. There's going to be thunder that practically stops your heart. There's going to be rain, there's going to be wind, it's going to happen no matter where you are. So what do we do? We wait. We take cover. We pray for the deliverance from the fear. 

I used to be terrified of storms. Now, when I say terrified, I mean I was in high school and if it were storming, I'd  go sleep in the room with my mom. Not sure what she was going to do to protect me, but it sure was nice knowing she was there with her arm around me, making sure that I knew that everything was going to be OK. Now, they just make me a little uneasy. Is it because storms stopped happening? Oh no. It's because I've learned that I can't do anything to change them, but I sure can change my attitude toward them. I've learned that they don't last forever and soon the sun will shine again.

Keep this in mind when you're going through the next storm of your life. Whether it's literal or emotional lighting, remember that the storm doesn't last forever. Things will get better and you'll be stronger. 


Love,



2 comments:

Crazy Shenanigans-JMO said...

Girl! I am so sick of this rain!!!!

Ashley said...

I'm just ready for normal weather here. If this were normal, I don't think it'd be quite so bad!